We’d like to be the first to congratulate you on making it through a little more than half of your fall semester! We know that school can be quite exhausting, and we’re so excited that you guys are doing well and thriving. This month is about giving, and we’re doing just that! Bring your non-perishable items and canned goods to the office all month long so we can donate them to the Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank. Let’s really try to make this November the best one yet!
- Here at The Oliver, we provide 24/7 on-call maintenance. That means that whenever you have an emergency maintenance problem, you can simply call the office, and you’ll be forwarded to one of our wonderful maintenance technicians who will be there in no time to help you out!
- For any non-emergency maintenance request, you can either log in to your portal account and submit your service request, or stop by the office and submit your request with one of our Community Assistants.
Reminders & Updates
Rent is due on the first of every month and can be paid via check, money order, or online payment.
Water bills are due at the same time as rent and can be combined with your rent payment.
Building a Career in College
College is such a busy, crazy time for many people that focusing on the here and now is all most can do. Well, good news! There are several ways to incorporate career building into your everyday busy life. By taking the following steps, you’ll be on your way to creating a successful future for yourself:
- Visit your university’s career center. Employers are focusing more and more on experience and skills rather than just good grades. Get in touch with organizations through the career center to branch out and participate in different activities you normally wouldn’t have. This gives you a chance to explore your major and others, and see what you’re truly passionate about.
- Evaluate yourself. Your future employer will want to know why you’re a good fit for their company. College is about finding your strengths and weaknesses — take time now to figure out your skills, values, personality traits, and interests. Learning about yourself will help prepare you for interviews when you’re hit with the question, “What do you think you will excel at the most in this position?”
- Challenge yourself. The more you’re willing to get out of your comfort zone, the more likely you’re to overcome your weaknesses. Apply for the part-time job at your apartment complex you normally wouldn’t apply for, or take that theater class you’ve always wanted to take. By challenging yourself, you’re building important skills and personality traits that will help you rise within your field.
- Take your work seriously. Whether you have a part-time job or volunteer, take the experience seriously. You can use previous supervisors for references when you are beginning your career. It will pay off in the long run to succeed in the workplace by building useful skills that you’ll have for life.
- Find a mentor. Find someone who is doing what you want to do. You can search on LinkedIn to get connected and network with others in your field who are also passionate about what they do. Talk to your professors and pick their brains as to why they chose the career they did. Once you find a mentor, everything can change. You become more motivated to succeed in something you love doing because you have someone who makes the experience a million times better.
Food Drive — November 1–23 — Donate non-perishable items and canned food to us all month, and we’ll bring them to the Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank!
Grocery Bingo — November 7 from 4–5 p.m. — We’ll be playing three games of bingo for a chance to win three baskets of food: one for breakfast, one for a spaghetti dinner, and one with snacks.
Popping into Fall — November 13 from 3–5 p.m. — We’ll have a DIY popcorn bar set up in the clubhouse for everyone to come make their own favorite popcorn concoction.
Friendsgiving — November 21 from 3–5 p.m. — Come enjoy a Thanksgiving lunch with the staff at The Oliver!
No Shave November — November 29 from 5:30–6 p.m. — Time for a beard-growing contest! The best beard will win a $15 gift card, and we’ll donate $30 to an accredited cancer charity of their choice!
November Birthday Bash — November 29 @ noon — Calling all November babies to the office for their birthday celebrations!
Donut Panic — November 30 from 10 a.m.–noon — With finals approaching, we know you are really going to be stressing out, but you will NOT be starving! Come to the office for some donuts and coffee and enjoy a study break.